Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"We shouldn't be putting up with this in 2009."

Oh yeah. But we are, aren't we.

We desperately need to have a sane dialogue about race relations in this country, but it's difficult to have a sane dialogue with crazy people screaming, and crazy, evil people like Limbaugh and Glenn Beck egging them on.

More here. UPDATE: And this, of course, has nothing to do with race. Oh no.

I have a very, very bad feeling about where all this is headed and I honestly don't know what Obama or anyone else can do about it. Thoughts?

4 comments:

Ruth said...

Let advertisers know you will not buy their products, and delete Fox channels from your teebee controls. Yes, that's my tactic.

Donna said...

I have become much more open about talking about politics to my students and others in the past couple of weeks. I emphasize that, in America, we're all entitled to our views -- it should be that way. But that the tone and tactics being used today are getting out of hand and that we should resist temptation to demonize our enemies and fight those who ask us to believe lies.

I don't know if it has any effect, but something's gotta change.

AnnPW said...

Always a good approach Ruth - get 'em where it hurts, right?

Donna, I'm glad you're doing that. I bet the majority of your students appreciate it too. Have you had any especially interesting responses? What is the predominant tone of their response?

Donna said...

I get lots of nods, and some very straight faces. I am trying hard not to leave room for debate on questions of civility -- it doesn't seem to me to be open to question.

My daughter is doing similar things in her high school classes, where she's getting a largely negative response. One student told her that Obama's mother was a gorilla; another wrote a paper about Obama and put president in quotation marks -- "president." She made him rewrite it, because of an incorrect usage of the punctuation.