Monday, July 13, 2009

Johnny Depp

Went to see Public Enemies last night and I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. While I thought Donna's take on it was interesting, I still thought it would be not much more than a straight up, shoot-em-up gangster pic. And it is. But Johnny Depp is in it, which turns it into something a little bit more.

And speaking of Depp, I am told that he is to play The Mad Hatter in the latest from Tim Burton, Alice in Wonderland. Thinking of all the great pairings of directors and stars - William Wyler and Bette Davis, George Cukor and Katharine Hepburn, Federico Fellini and Giulietta Masina, John Ford and John Wayne - surely Tim Burton and Johnny Depp ranks right up there with them. Whatever else one may say about Burton's films, the magnificent artistry of his sets and costumes is simply unparalleled. Take a look.

4 comments:

Donna said...

He's also going to be the riddler, I hear, in the next Batman.

AnnPW said...

That sounds like a good fit too, doesn't it. I tell you, there isn't much that that young man couldn't play.

Teddy Wilson said...

Johnny Depp tends to make any film better, and in some cases he may be the only reason why anyone should watch the film. See: Once Upon a Time in Mexico

AnnPW said...

Welcome Teddy! I hope you'll stop by often. You know, I have never seen Once Upon A Time in Mexico. I think I might just have to rent it.