Monday, August 3, 2009

Monday Morning

First off, I am delighted to report that on Saturday evening I met up with one member of that select and elite group that is My Commenters, Ruth, and what a blast that was! Ruth hails from Sherman, TX, (north of Dallas, near the Texas/Oklahoma border) and was in Austin for the annual meeting of the Texas chapter of the ACLU, and since I live about 2 hours from Austin, we agreed that this was a good opportunity for us to finally meet each other. So, at 6 p.m., Ruth and Julie - the Austin friend she was staying with - and I met up at Chez Nous for a wonderful evening of fine food and conversation. I hope we can do it again soon! Meanwhile, Ruth has moved from her bloghome at Cab Drollery to The Seminal at FireDogLake, so be sure and check it out.

The friends I stayed with couldn't join us for dinner Saturday night, but they heard all about it from me. On Sunday, we went to see Woody Allen's latest, Whatever Works which was better than okay but not great, and we talked about looking forward to seeing Julie and Julia. Since we're fans of both Julia Child AND Meryl Streep, it seems like a win-win, doesn't it?

In other movie news, this (H/T Mahablog) makes me really, really sad. If Hollywood must remake a movie, why not remake a BAD movie and make it better instead of mucking up one of the greatest classics of all time? That said, I agree with Barbara and the article's author that Tom Hanks seems the most likely choice to play Elwood P. Dodd, but as long as people are asking for alternate suggestions, I'll throw out Richard Jenkins, who did such a fine job in The Visitor and Burn After Reading, as the dark horse choice. Let's see if Spielberg takes my advice!

Last but not least, this is hilarious!

4 comments:

Ruth said...

She's right, meeting was a treat, and dinner was terrific. Have had the experience of meeting fellow bloggers several times, and finding out why we like each other is real, not virtual. Glad you could come, AnnPW.

On the drive back north, I got to fill up with biofuel at Willie's Place and revisit the bulletin board in wacky Waco that says "Where's the BIRTH CERTIFICATE" - still giggling.

heydave said...

For movie choices, I recommend the Hurt Locker, which I saw just yesterday.

AnnPW said...

Me too, Ruth and I look forward to doing it again!

Heydave! Been missing you! Hurt Locker is on my list of must-sees. It looks like a good one.

Mike Thomas said...

I can't imagine Spielberg picking anyone other than Hanks to remake Harvey. A Spielberg movie without Tom Hanks would be like a Tim Burton film without Johnny Depp.