Thursday, November 20, 2008

60

Regarding all the buzz about the possiblity of a 60-seat filibuster-proof majority in the Senate, I heard this mentioned on some show last night (might have been Countdown, not sure) and it was something that had also occurred to me: There is, of course, no assurance that even if we have 60 Democrats in the Senate they would all vote with the Democratic caucus - they probably won't on every issue. Furthermore, on some issues, it should not be difficult to find moderate Republicans who are willing to vote with Democrats. Thus, a filibuster-proof majority is going to depend more on the strength of Obama's/Democrats' agenda and their political skills than on the actual number of Democrats in the Senate. Seems that way to me, anyway. That said, the more Democrats the better, no doubt, but I'm still more concerned about the quality rather than the quantity of Senate Democrats - and that of course is what requires our vigilance and participation.

It's fun watching this new administration begin to take shape. I really don't know what to make of the brouhaha over Hillary for Scty/State, except that the press just seems to get the vapors about anything Clinton-related. I think she'd be fine, and I don't believe there would be any problems with either her OR Bill attempting to "upstage" Obama. That scenario seems like press drama dreamed up entirely for their own amusement. I liked John Kerry for the job, too, though frankly I'd be sorry to lose either of them in the Senate, and not because of that 60-vote majority thing but because they're both good Senators.

By all accounts, Daschle is a great pick for HHS. I like Howard Dean, and I think he deserves to be rewarded for the job he did with the DNC, so I hope that happens. Greenwald, whose authority on this subject I respect, has what seems to be to be a thorough and ultimately positive assessment of the Eric Holder pick. I think that most of us who feel strongly that there should be some serious investigations and prosecutions for the criminal abuses of the Bush administration know that we are going to be disappointed(this little comedy notwithstanding), but for now, are willing to give Obama the benefit of the doubt that he will move a progressive agenda significantly forward. And that, added to the pleasure of seeing the back end of George W. Bush as he fades into history, is reason enough to relax and say an extra prayer of Thanksgiving as we head into this holiday week.

11 comments:

Ruth said...

That Rule of Law is going to require some in-depth repairs at the DOJ. But I just am enjoying what DeLay and Co. did, making sure that TX has not much pull in D.C. because of their redistricting plunder. heh.

Mike Thomas said...

Here’s an idea.... Since it looks like Penny Pritzker won’t be accepting the Sect. of Commerce position, why not tap Sen. Olympia Snowe of Maine? That would give Obama a Republican in his cabinet as promised and it would free up a Senate seat in a very blue state that we could possible take over giving the magic 60 even if the runoff in Georgia goes the other way.

AnnPW said...

Very crafty, Mike! Are you sure you haven't slipped into your Pragmatic Idealist mode a day or two early?

No kidding, Ruth. What do you think about watching "Big John....Big Bad John" strut around in his new role?

heydave said...

You're assuming we pray, but what the heck...

For an administration that's less than three weeks older, even if life does begin at election, I have to temper my anxiety level right now. I think one aftershock of this campaign has been to make everyone hyper sensitive about everything political. Or am I just more observant/cautious in my advancing years?

AnnPW said...

Heh, I use the term "pray" in the broadest possible sense and I suppose I expected that most of my legion of readers (especially the ORDAINED ones!!!) would know that!

I do think that anxiety you speak of is pervasive amongst us political junkies - and probably has little to do with age, or so I tell myself. These are heady days.

Ruth said...

Big hat John is more stumbling than struttin' without those Ted Stevens types to hold onto.

and I like Mike T's idea a lot. Altho there are a lot of v qualified Dems for that seat.

Meander said...

That said, the more Democrats the better, no doubt, but I'm still more concerned about the quality rather than the quantity of Senate Democrats - and that of course is what requires our vigilance and participation.

We have more to fear from the Blue Dogs than we do the increasingly atomized Republicans.

Nice place you got here, BTW.
~

AnnPW said...

Thx, Meander-er! How in the world did you find me?

Meander said...

Hi, Ann! I was directed to you by Ruth, who comments with me over at Eschaton!

I, myself write at Slow Roasted and I'm getting started over at Open Salon.

AnnPW said...

Pleased to meet you, fellow liberal Texan! And just for the record, I look EXACTLY like Rose McGowan in glasses.

Meander said...

Well, if that isn't a good reason to add that you to my blog roll, I don't know what is!