Thursday, April 23, 2009

I think we can handle the truth.

I meant to post about this yesterday but got busy. A Few Good Men may be the only film with Demi Moore in it that I really like. It's not a great film, by any means, but it's one of those that I can watch repeatedly and always enjoy, probably because I feel like I personally know all the characters in it. My father was a JAG officer in the Air Force and I knew my share of Jesseps, Markinsons and Kendricks but also plenty of Jack Rosses, JoAnne Galloways and Daniel Kaffees, not to mention countless Downeys, Dawsons and Barneses.

I had a chuckle to myself not too long ago when I was wandering in the swamp that is TexasFred's blog and I noticed that he had a picture up with one of his many lunatic ravings that was a close-up of Jack Nicholson in his pivotal scene wherein he is screaming that Tom Cruise "can't HANDLE the truth!" I thought it was funny because poor ol' TexasFred appeared to be implying that he identified with Nathan Jessep in that scene and I wondered if he had even SEEN the movie he was referring to!

Well, Anonymous Liberal has obviously seen it and does a masterful job in this post of drawing the clear parallels between the movie's story and today's torture debate. He concludes,
Unfortunately, because this isn't a movie, it's unlikely that the culprits will ever truly be held accountable for their actions.
I hope he's wrong.

No comments: