Friday, October 30, 2009

Halloween, Day 5

Ohboyohboyohboy, getting closer! Today we are going to follow-up Screamin' Jay Hawkins Day with a slightly more esoteric pursuit, an examination of the most famous work by fauvist* Edvard Munch, The Scream:


And I can't recommend strongly enough a viewing of this wonderful documentary about the artist himself. The database entry has "TV" after the title, but I recall seeing it in the theater (and apparently I was one of a select few) sometime in the mid-seventies, and it has always stayed with me.

*At least I'VE always thought of him as a fauvist. So far, a brief Google research effort has not supported this contention, as most refer to him as a "Norwegian expressionist". I may have to investigate further.

2 comments:

capmconnundrum said...

Never really thought of Munch as a Fauve. it's been too long since art history, but I don't know if he falls neatly into any school. The angst puts him more in the company of James Ensor than Henri Matisse to my thinking. Too early for expressionism, he just seems to have struck out on his own.

AnnPW said...

Yeah, I just heard from an artist friend of mine that I went to school with - and we both had the same teacher who is the one I remember referring to Munch as a fauvist - and he concurs with you. Once again, I'm afraid, my memory is playing tricks on me. I may have to give it some candy!