Friday, May 30, 2008

An Incomplete List

I want Barack Obama to be President of the United States.

I want my country to immediately stop sanctioning torture.

I want George W. Bush and Dick Cheney convicted for war crimes and imprisoned for the rest of their lives.

I want Karl Rove convicted for, at the very least, election fraud.

I want a functioning news media that enforces acceptable standards of integrity and competence.

I want the United States government to provide universal healthcare for everyone.

I want it to be legal in the United States to grow marijuana for personal use.

I want any woman who wants an abortion for any reason whatsoever to be able to get one safely, legally, and without stigma.

I want my country to use its power and resources for peace and the defense of human rights around the world.

I want my country to be a leader in responsible stewardship of the planet.

I want widespread recognition of people like James Dobson, Tony Perkins and John Hagee as despicable charlatans and the relegation of such hucksters to the dustbin of irrelevance. (UPDATE: Aaaauuughhhh!)

I want civics and science to be taught in public schools, and religion to be taught at home and in church.

I'm sure I'll think of some more, but these are just a few highlights right off the top of my head....

6 comments:

Mike Thomas said...

I was going to say that I want to see the new Indiana Jones movie, but that doesn't sound weighty enough to fit in with this list...

How about, I want Rick Noriega to be the next U.S. Senator from the Great State of Texas!

AnnPW said...

Sounds good to me! Actually, I had ended with "I want the Lakers to lose" - so you see, "weightiness" wasn't so much an issue with me, either! But I crossed it off because it sounded a bit, er, sour-grapesy.

Freewheel said...

You have my vote!!!

heydave said...

To quote: Fuckin' A!

Mike Thomas said...

I'd say No. 1 on your list is a good bet. Same with No. 2 provided that No. 1 happens.
As for Nos. 3 & 4, fughedeboutit. Ain't never gonna happen.
No. 5 is a mixed bag and always has been. There is lots of good media out there. I knew the Iraq war was BS from the start and I didn't devine that on my own. I read good media reports and knew better than to believe some others.
No. 6 may happen depending on your definition.
No. 7 is a lost cause. No politician is going to step into that firestorm. I'd personally like to see a sharp decriminilalization of our drug laws followed by an increase in funds for treatment along with strict government controls and regulations.
No. 8 is hanging in the balance with our Supreme Court.
No. 9 is one of those "you better watch what you wish for" items cuz you might get it. Some folks will argue that we are defending human rights in Iraq. And what does it mean to use power and resources to support "peace"? Peace through strength?
No. 10 will improve greatly with No. 1
No. 11 may take several generations to accomplish
No. 12 is another ongoing battle over definitions.

AnnPW said...

Well, a girl can dream, right?

As for #9, "some" may argue that we are defending human rights in Iraq, but we're not. And yes, "peace through strength" is, I think, a good basis for policy.

Thanks for your comments!