Wednesday, May 21, 2008

War Crimes

Add this (H/T Atrios) to the list. Seriously. You know, as a child of white middle-class priviledge, I could never really understand what it would have been like to experience the Jim Crow era in the South from an African American's point of view. To live through such blatant, horrifying injustice and know that it was institutionalized and that there was absolutely nothing you could do about it, would instill an overwhelming sense of hopelessness and rage, it seems to me. Yet that is exactly how I would label the feelings I experience as I read about these routine, systemic, ongoing abuses that have been perpetrated by the Bush administration, and I see George W. Bush strutting around, making demands, planning his library, smirking. I feel sick. How in God's name are we going to let them get away with this? How?? How can we, as a country, survive letting them get away with this?

No comments: