Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Well done, Hillary

I like Hillary Clinton. I have always thought she was a class act, in the face of all the crap that the press and Republicans have consistently flung at her for so many years, she kept her head high and fought on like a champ. I think she's been a great Senator for New York, and while she was never my preferred choice as the Democratic nominee for President, I would have backed her enthusiastically if that's how the chips had fallen. I think she ran a poor campaign for the nomination, and she's ultimately responsible for that, just as John McCain is responsible for the mud-slinging that his campaign is engaged in. But I also think she was ill-served by some of her closest advisors, and that's a shame. Nevertheless, in contrast, Barack Obama has more than proven himself as a talented and capable leader, with an excellent, disciplined staff and it's just clear as day to anyone with as little as a single working brain cell that he, and not John McCain, is what this country needs. Now.

Which brings me to her speech last night. She did a great job, exactly as I expected she would. She could not have spoken more clearly, truthfully, forcefully. She is grateful to those who supported her, taught her, and she understands her mission. There is not a shred of doubt remaining that any Hillary-voters out there who are still declaring that they "aren't sure" or, even worse, still say that they would rather vote for McCain than Obama, are clearly doing so not for Hillary or for their "constituents" back home. They're doing it for the GOP and John McCain, and most likely have been all along.

No comments: