Sunday, October 5, 2008

O.J. Behind Bars

I'd be interested to hear what our friend, Donna, over at Happiness Anyway has to say about the conviction of O.J. Simpson and his imminent sentencing. I can't help but be pleased that the man is going to jail, finally - I have no doubt that he did kill his wife and her friend, Ron Goldman. But the path that he has taken to jail, it seems to me, doesn't reflect very well on our justice system, which all too often favors the rich and the famous. It seems to me that this case, while still feeding off of Simpson's notoriety, was designed to compensate for the failing of his earlier criminal trial, but is that really the proper role of our courts?

2 comments:

Donna said...

I agree on all counts, Ann. I think he was guilty as sin of the murders (and I was appalled that violence against women got such short shrift in that trial), but I am not liking what I'm hearing from the jurors in this trial.

I doubt that an appeal is going to help him much, though. Juries usually get to call it like they see it, unless there was absolutely no evidence on which to convict, and courts don't like to hear about what went into the jury's deliberations.

I think karma wins on this one.

AnnPW said...

Thanks Donna. I guess it's no wonder that a man who has gotten away with murder would think he could get away with anything, but jeez talk about pushing your luck! Further proof, if it were needed, of the massive and out-of-control ego that this man had. I can't help but think of GWB, and wonder when and if his karma will come home to roost, er, to mix a metaphor or two!