Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Go out and kiss someone today!

Years and years ago, a coworker asked our staff to submit suggestions for a list of favorite Valentine's Day songs, and I submitted the Stones song I include in today's list - the rest is just a random sample of songs I find appropriate for the day. It could go on for miles, so I hope you appreciate that I kept it as short as I did! As always, dear readers, I welcome your suggestions in the comments. To begin:

Sam Cooke and Sam Cooke and Sam Cooke. I mean, you couldn't go wrong on Valentine's Day if you just played Sam Cooke all day - this guy, with his voice like melted butter, could make even a song about prison sound romantic! But I'm going to try to provide a little something for everyone. Just know that I'm an old coot who's pretty clueless about anything that came after the 80's unless it had to do with the delta blues. So here we go - I'm just going to list the artists, you have to click on them to see which song I selected:

Patsy Cline
the Stones
the Coles
the Beach Boys
Ben E. King
Sade
Bob Dylan
Screamin' Jay
Stevie Winwood
Ravel
Neil Young
Chicago
Aretha (with Cissy Houston and the Sweet Inspirations! ZOMG!)
Janis Joplin
Roy Orbison
Blondie
Jimi Hendrix
Magda Kalmar
Buddy Guy

And a bonus one for the ex who, in one of life's delicious little ironies, gave me a boxed set of fabulous works by this lady.

4 comments:

Mike Thomas said...

How can you have a Valentine’s song list without something by The Crooner?
There are other songs I might choose, but they are not on YouTube so I will go with this two-for-one selection from one of Bing’s early movies.
He even takes your advice and kisses the girl in this clip!

AnnPW said...

Your're right, Mike - those are indispensable! I especially love the old guy wiping his brow at the end. My list is admittedly incomplete. You've reminded me also about Dean Martin and Fred and Ginger!

heydave said...

Love me 'til my heart stops!

Good comes in all times.

AnnPW said...

Perfect! Thanks heydave! I think I might be adding to my list throughout the day...