Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Stop the presses!

Our pal, Freewheel, has demanded that I provide an official Beginning To Wonder endorsement and I am nothing if not an obliging soul, so here it is: I will be casting my vote for Barack Obama in the Texas Presidential primary on March 4. Why? Well, because The Left told me to. I certainly expect my announcement to be greeted with the same level of excitement that this one has been met with. Alright, seriously: I love Hillary and I think she is smart and capable and would make a fine President. But I think there are a couple of factors that give Obama the edge: I appreciate that he voted against the AUMF in Iraq and was keenly disappointed that she voted for it, same with the Kyl-Lieberman vote. Those were not smart decisions on her part. I also think she has demonstrated some weaknesses with her campaign organization, perhaps entrusting people she shouldn't have, whereas Obama has run an impressive campaign so far. I am excited about the groundswell of enthusiasm that Obama has been able to generate, and I think that this bodes well for his ability to accomplish some difficult tasks as President. As Maha puts it:
I have argued before that one person, even a POTUS, cannot heal the nation’s sick political culture. But I believe healing the nation’s sick political culture is not only possible (although not easy), I think the life of our nation depends on it. That healing will take a movement, an overwhelming crush of public opinion that will chase the wingnuts back under their rocks. I think Obama gets that; I don’t believe Clinton does.
Vanquishing the Beast, doncha know.

UPDATE: In the Great-Minds-Think-Alike category....

4 comments:

Mike Thomas said...

So you're an Obamaniac too!
And so is our friend Peter at B&B.

AnnPW said...

You know, I'm sure you have probably mentioned Peter before, but thanks for reminding me about him. I'm adding him to my blogroll today!

Freewheel said...

But aren't you concerned about his desire to take the oath of office on the Koran and his refusal to pledge allegiance to the flag?

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/02/18/why-we-do-what-we-do/

Seriously, though, I hope Texas puts him over the top.

AnnPW said...

Not to mention his devotion to Che Guevara! I hope so too, Freewheel - thanks!