Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Best Quotes of 2007

Glenn Greenwald has a typically great post up in which he lists his favorite quotes of 2007, and it got me to thinking, Could I pick a favorite quote of Bill's for 2007? So I trotted over there to do a little research and, Eureka!, there was a contender right on the first page! Now, I gotta say, it takes a lot to nudge this one from the #1 spot:
Rule #1 in Politics: When you have the moral high ground, milk it, don't ruin it with politics.Posted by Bill Crawford on September 19,2007 at 7:44 AM
I think my readers will agree that that's pretty spectacular wingnuttiism. But take a gander at this (emphasis mine, snark added):
Six years without an attack, did anyone think that possible in the months after 9/11?  No, and its clear from the evidence that one of the tools used to keep us safe since 9/11 is waterboarding.  It's a legitimate interrogation technique, it is legal, and it should stay that way. Your life may depend on it. [ed: Cut to Groucho Marx and Margaret Dumont in the balcony scene in A Night At The Opera - oogitty boogity!] This technique has been used sparingly, only high-level al Qaeda operatives, and I sleep very well at night knowing this.Posted by Bill Crawford on December 26, 2007 at 09:51 AM in
Demonstrating such an astonishing breadth of both stupidity AND moral bankruptcy in such a concise statement, it is my contention that this entry should earn our Bill a place at the table with such denizens of wingnuttopia as Pastor Swank, Jonah Goldberg and, yes, James D. Miller. What do you think?

No comments: