Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Oscars and other stuff

Scott bitch slaps "Pastor" Doug Giles.

Maja points us to Jonathan Steele who posits that the warmongers in the Bush administration failed to think. Yes, it's true!

Mike gives us his predictions on this year's Oscar picks. I still haven't seen Juno, Atonement, or There Will Be Blood; and I haven't seen any of the films that the best actress nominations are in, so I hesitate to make any predictions just yet...Okay was that long enough? I predict that Daniel Day-Lewis will win Best Actor, and There Will Be Blood will win Best Picture. I would love for Julie Christie to win Best Actress for Away From Her, and, from what I hear, Cate Blanchett should win Best Supporting Actress for I'm Not There (but wouldn't it be GREAT if it went to the wonderful Ruby Dee, and after all, Cate Blanchett already HAS her Oscar for the Aviator.) I bet that Diablo Cody wins Best Original Screenplay for Juno, and I certainly hope that Michael Clayton and No Country For Old Men win for SOMETHING but I don't know what. What do you all think?

9 comments:

Mike Thomas said...

No Country For Old Men will win the Best Supporting Actor award. Javier Bardem has that one sewed up.
Meanwhile, it's interesting that Australian Cate Blanchett is going to win her second Oscar for impersonating a famous American icon - first Kate Hepburn and now Bob Dylan. Has a man ever won an Oscar for playing the part of a woman? John Travolta missed his chance this year.

AnnPW said...

You don't think Javier Bardem's haircut will disqualify him? In fact, I am kind of rooting for Tom Wilkinson gets Best Supporting Actor so that Michael Clayton gets something. And poor John Travolta certainly made a valiant effort, but nobody could ever hold a candle to Divine.

Mike Thomas said...

Of course, I'm speaking with all the authority of someone who hasn't seen any of these films. I'm just regurgitating all the conventional wisdom I've absorbed from my obsessive reading about who and what the Hollywood people like.
Of course, these are the same people who were quite sure that Rudy Guiliani was going to run away with the GOP presidential nomination.

AnnPW said...

Absolutely! So clearly we have just as much authority as they do, right? Viva la Blogosphere!

vizavis said...

Has a man ever won an Oscar for playing the part of a woman?
I don't know Mike, but Dustin Hoffman sure deserved one for Tootsie.

AnnPW said...

Hi Pam! He was nominated for that role, but lost out to Ben Kingsley that year who won for Ghandi.

Mike Thomas said...

I thought about Dustin Hoffman in "Tootsie", but he was still playing a man dressing up as a woman. Same with Robin Williams in Miss Doubtfire.
Oddly enough, this year we had two big name actors playing female roles - the beforementioned John Travolta in Hairspray and the Razzy nominated Eddie Murphy in Norbit.

Ricky Bones said...

No Country ROCKED. Glad I caugt that one!

AnnPW said...

I agree, RB! Did you guys hear that Oliver Stone is actually trying to put together a picture about GWB and has pegged Josh Brolin for the title role?? Gag. Here's hoping that project never sees the light of day. I left a comment on another blog that I would only pay money to see such a film if they got a chimpanzee to play Dubya. A friend and I have been talking about seeing Atonement for weeks, but our schedules just never seem to jive.